Saturday 27 April 2013

Getting into coaching


Like many boys, football was my life for years.  I went to coaching schemes and started playing competitively at u10s for a local team.  Over the years, I played for a number of teams until injury (and getting married/having kids) cut my competitive playing days short.  In my head, I could have made it!  Realistically, I didn't have a chance but that never stopped me dreaming!

In 2009/10, I took my son to a Saturday morning coaching session on the local school field.  Being the first there over a few weeks, I got talking to the coach and helped out with keeping the kids in order.  As the summer approached, all the parents (mainly dads!) were approached at the end of a session to see who would "help out" for the following season.  I have emphasised the "help out" as this was the important thing for me.  "I don't mind helping", I said.  So that was me thrown into it for my 1st season!

2 weeks later, I chose the 16 boys that would make up the squad, was given a set of balls, bibs and cones and sent on my way!  In at the deep end!

The rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment