Friday 10 May 2013

Presentation nights are upon us

It's fast approaching that time of the season when, as a manager/coach, I have to think of those end of season awards.  There is much discussion around whether they are valuable or needed, but seeing the look on the face of the kids when they are received is priceless!  As a club, it's down to the manager/coach to decide what awards they are to give out

  • Managers Player
  • Coaches Player
  • Players Player
  • Supporters Player
  • etc.
We opt for 3 of the above plus Most Improved Player , leaving out the Players Player.  At a young age, and from my own experiences, this ends up going to the one with the biggest circle of friends within the team.  I know it did for the team I played for!  I was surprised to find out from my son that he sees the most important being Most Improved Player.  I presumed it would be the Managers or Coaches Player, obviously not!

So how are the awards chosen?  It would be easy to pick out the child with the most ability, they usually get the most votes in the Supporters Player anyway.  For me, when choosing the Managers Player, I look for other qualities, commitment, manners, enthusiasm and not moaning about playing in an unfamiliar position!  Most Improved Player is always a tricky one.  Throughout the season, you can see every player improving.  I always try and look at how they played in the first few weeks of the season compared to the final few weeks.  Again, their conduct could also be viewed.

In addition to our own presentation evening, as league winners we have also been invited to the league presentation evening at Barnsley Metrodome.
League Presentation tickets
It will be a late night for our u10s on a school night but I'm sure something they will all enjoy.  What a way to end the season!

Last thing, good luck to Millhouses Juniors and Norton Lees Juniors who are playing in the SDJSFL U10s Trophy final on the 18th May.  These are 2 teams from our league who play in the right spirit and were a pleasure to play against.

No comments:

Post a Comment